Gabe Matyiko, vice president of Expert House Movers of MD, Inc. and a 3rd generation expert in structural moving, joined the Practical Preservation podcast to discuss information about the family’s house and structural moving business. We covered a multitude of topics including:
- The origins of the company, and how Gabe came back to his family’s business in 2002
- Business models in the industry, and the scope of practice of the business, including discussions of feasibility of projects and all of the nuanced planning involved
- How instrumental structural moving and raising can be in preservation projects, particularly given the modern challenges related to flooding – rising-sea levels and increased frequency of storms, poor storm management in some water-front cities, the high-cost of flood insurance – and competition and encroachment of urban sprawl and developments
- The benefits and challenges of the company’s being featured on social media, TV, and local and national television
- And fun details about one of the most unique, challenging, and ambitious projects the company has taken on in recent years, involving a barge as one means of transport!