Kaitlin O’Shea of Preservation in Pink, joined the Practical Preservation Podcast to discuss her blog and how preservation is a part of so much of everyday life. We covered multiple topics, including:
- Kaitlin’s desire growing up to live in a walkable neighborhood, and how she eventually connected that to preservation
- Kaitlin’s varied experiences as a professional preservationist, and how her passion brought her to where she is today
- The impetus for her blog, including a desire to remain connected with former preservation classmates, but also to connect to a wider audience, writing about preservation in a relatable way
- Kaitlin’s goal to shed light on the connections between everyday life to preservation in the minds of others by focusing on common ground
- Continued existing challenges in preservation, as well as a new challenge of determining where to draw the line between purist/traditional and practical preservation tactics
- The positive trend of preservation becoming more inclusive in the past few years
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
You can read more about Kaitlin, the story behind the blog name, and her little mascot, “Pip,” here.
Kaitlin also has a wonderful series of blog posts on basic preservation information, here. We recommend starting with “Preservation Basics.”
Kaitlin is currently most active on Instagram, and would like to remind everyone that preservation is not about officials telling you what to do with your home; preservation is about valuing what you have.